Gmail! Gmail!

Gmail! Gmail!

Yes, Google has POP3 access to Gmail now. They're rolling it out slowly over the next two weeks.

If you have Gmail, log in to your account., click 'Settings' at the top of any Gmail page, then look for 'Forwarding and POP' in the orange 'Mail Settings' box. If you have 'Forwarding' only, you're not invited yet.

No, I don't have an invite, yet. I'm just getting ready to roll when they do give me POP3 access, and looking for SSL (aka STARTTLS) compatible clients for my Palm Tungsten dub-ya.

When I have more invites, I will post them to the local Craigslist.

Of course, some e-mail marketers are concerned it will be easier to filter out their commercial messages. Oh, shucky-darn.

So, M$ drops free POP3 Hotmail access, Yahoo charges $20/yr. for it, and Gmail gives it away. Who loves ya, baby?

And, one wonders whether the 'accidental' terabyte of storage some Gmail users have discovered was an accident in the lab, or if it's a revelation of Google's next great thing. Hmm.

Comments